MRI is safe with VNS Therapy™ provided specific guidelines followed
MRI can be safely performed with the VNS Therapy™ System provided specific guidelines are followed.
Speak to your doctor about which areas of the body can be safely scanned. MRI scan requirements are different depending on your VNS Therapy generator model and the implant location.
Follow these steps before, during and after an MRI with VNS Therapy™
1. Before scheduling your MRI
- Contact your neurologist to discuss your upcoming MRI.
2. Schedule your MRI appointment
- When you call to make an appointment for an MRI, inform the MRI center that you have a VNS Therapy device implanted.
- Provide the model number of your implanted VNS Therapy device, as well as the name and contact information of your neurologist. This information can be found on the Patient MRI Form which will be provided by your neurologist.
3. Before your MRI
- Your neurologist will temporarily turn your VNS Therapy device OFF and give you a copy of the Patient MRI Form to take to the MRI center.
4. Attend your MRI appointment
- Remember to bring your Patient MRI Form.
- Inform the radiologist and MRI technicians of your implanted VNS Therapy device and your seizure disorder.
- Do not bring your patient magnet into the MRI scanner room.
- If you feel any discomfort during the MRI, immediately notify the MRI technician.
5. After your MRI
- Make an appointment with your neurologist to turn your VNS Therapy device back on.
MRI can be safely performed with the VNS Therapy System provided specific guidelines are followed. Speak to your doctor about which areas of the body can be safely scanned. MRI scan requirements are different depending on your VNS Therapy device model and the implant location.
Before having any MRI performed — Call your doctor, so your VNS Therapy System can be discussed with the MRI personnel. In many cases, an MRI can be performed safely under certain conditions. Your doctor has access to detailed MRI-related information in the physician’s manual.
No, the VNS Therapy patient magnet is MR Unsafe therefore do not carry the patient magnet into the MR scanner room.
MRI scan requirements are different depending on your VNS Therapy device model and the implant location.
Contact your doctor if you have questions about having an MRI scan.
Find answers to your VNS Therapy™ questions
Browse our comprehensive list of FAQs covering topics such as product safety, device usage, battery life, magnet usage and more.
References are available upon request.
The intended audience for this website is visitors in the United Kingdom. VNS Therapy™ for Drug Resistant Epilepsy is not available in all countries, please talk to your doctor.